Saturday, March 2, 2019

So, I've been thinking... A LOT

borrowed from the Liturgy Nerd
I realize that I’m pretty late in writing about the events and outcomes of the United Methodist Church’s General Conference.  Honestly, I wasn’t going to write about it all.  I was just going to leave it up to all those who are way smarter than me and much more knowledgeable about all this than me … but I had a long drive yesterday and well, I turned on a playlist of praise and worship songs and God and I just had our own little private worship service together right there in my car.  I cried, I laughed, I car-danced (it’s a thing, try it) and I heard God clearly saying to me – “love, love, love, grace, grace, grace. I love all my children, I created each and every one of you in my image.  No one is perfect and that’s on purpose. Each one of you is unique. I love you and if you love me, go out and share that love with the world.  I offer you grace every morning, noon, and night, now go out and offer that same grace to the world.”

One of the arguments I hear in support of the traditional plan is that practicing homosexuals are sinning every day and that’s why they shouldn’t be allowed to lead and receive ordination.

Well, I’m not ordained but I am often encouraged towards seminary and eventual ordination and like I said above, God offers me much needed grace morning, noon, and night for my sins.

Now, I am not calling homosexuality a sin.  Please do not think that.  Who am I to name sin?  But I do feel like I can name my own sin.

The bible speaks about laziness often in the Bible – Proverbs (A LOT), James, 2 Thessalonians, Romans, Timothy and more and I’ll be honest, I have been known to binge watch TV and movies – A LOT.  I sit in my chair and just veg to Hallmark movie after Hallmark movie or I catch up on several weeks of Bull, NCIS, and This Is Us.  I've been known to spend an entire day... or two... in this manner.  That's pretty lazy.

The 9thcommandment talks about how we shouldn’t covet what our neighbor has and I’m going to be honest, one of my neighbors just remodeled her kitchen and yeah, I’m really coveting that new big kitchen with lots of counter space and cabinets and new gadgets.  Another neighbor has a REAL laundry room, not a laundry closet, but a whole room!  Yep, you guessed it.  I envy that room.  You can often find me on Realtor.com or Zillow looking at houses I can’t afford but would love to have. (More laziness? or at least idleness?)

Oh, what about gluttony? It is mentioned several times as well, and also there's something about our bodies being a temple and how we are supposed to take care of it and yet… I love junk food!  I love rich creamy pasta, chocolate, French fries, butter, potato chips, ice cream and more and I could stand to lose 30 or 40 pounds!  

There are probably many more sins I could name for myself, anger, pride, and so on but I think you get my point.  AND I wasn’t born with this, these are choices I make each day.  No sin is any worse or better than another.  Sin is sin is sin and yet the church would allow me to be ordained and does allow me now to serve as pastor to two small congregations.

I was born and raised in the United Methodist Church, a preacher’s kid.  I am proud of my United Methodist Heritage and our stance on social justice and mission in the world.  I’m proud of our being a global church!  And I love the Wesleyan theology of grace, grace and more grace.  This week I have been heart-broken and ashamed of this church I love.

I was taught, through the UMC, to love everyone, not to judge anyone, and that God CAN and HAS and WILL and DOES call whomever he wants to serve his people.  Who are we to answer NO to their call for them? 

And don't even get me started on the whole marriage thing...

2 comments: