Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Just Do Good

Matthew 6:1 The Message (MSG)

The World Is Not a Stage

“Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don’t make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won’t be applauding.

 
This one always gets me. I often share stories in my sermons and here in our devotions.  I have to check myself often to see why I’m sharing.  Am I sharing for recognition or to help others in their understanding?  I think that is what this verse is all about, it’s a reminder to do good for the right reasons.  Do good for God, because he’s asked us to do so.  Do good to help others but don’t do it just so you can say, “Look at me!  See what I did!”  Recognition isn’t a reason to do good in the world.  God already knows what we did and knows why too.

Holy God,
Help us to do good, just do good.  Help us to keep the focus on you and not ourselves and our deeds.  Amen.



 

If you find this devotion to be a blessing, please share it with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment