Saturday, December 10, 2016

Making room

Here I sit in the quiet of an early Saturday morning... Not as early as during the week... wrapped up in a blanket, sipping cinnamon tea watching the lights dance on the Christmas tree.  Yes, these early mornings are quickly becoming my favorite time of day.

I should use them to be more productive, but I really enjoy just sitting in the peaceful quiet.

Oh, I did do a little online Christmas shopping this morning, and I stretched a little, and read a little news (dumb idea, almost ruined my peaceful morning) but I prefer to just sit here and think, dream...

I've been thinking a lot about those less fortunate then me and what I can do for them this holiday season, and well, every day.  I decided the other day that maybe I'll start crocheting scarves to donate to the local shelter.  There are a couple of fundraisers coming up for it too that I'm going to try to support (eating pancakes is easy!)  My two churches collect food and such for the their local food banks.  I could do more to support that.  But all this just never seems like enough.  I want to do more but I just haven't figured out what more is yet. The Bible study I'm doing right now talks about giving more than just what can go in a stocking or under a tree.  We need to give them place at our table, room in our lives.  That's what I want to do.  I want to invite more people into my life, I want to make room for those in need in my life.  I just need to figure out how exactly to do that.

So, what do you do to help the poor?  How are you making a difference in the world?  How are you inviting people to the table and making room for them in your lives?

4 comments:

  1. My day sounded like yours ! I got a Christmas tree because yours looked so nice, did online shopping and watched the army navy game. Watched some news and got on Facebook yes it can make me mad ! So much anger on fb pages lol can ruin the Christmas spirit.

    I want to get back into volunteering and helping out with more people. Sometimes I work at the mission. There's an orphanage that I take gifts to. I've helped with refugees getting a home and job.

    Sometimes I go to downtown dc and help random homeless people. I've taken them out to dinner. Some of the older guys I've taken back to my place to shower and even let some spend the night. I don't think they took anything ! A few I've got to know well I gave them my number in case they were in serious need. I still feel like you that I should do more especially in the holidays. There's so many homeless people on the city though and I only have 1 couch. I have a decent life and free time. I was going to purchase a building and turn it into a homeless shelter. It was big, it had been a church, an aa meeting place, and a half way house. I figured I could make it a shelter, live upstairs, maybe keep the church, and run a small gym out of it on the side. Plus it had a parking garage underneath that I could rent out spots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!! It sounds like you are doing great things in the world for others. You go!! I feel like I really need to step up my game! DH and I have talked about opening a homeless shelter or a day room kind of thing where people come in during the day for a place but about the same time we thinking it, it happened in our little town! Now, we just need to get more involved there. Make more room in our schedules and such. :) Good for you and all you do!!

      And I love that you got a Christmas tree today! You should share a photo of it!! I love Christmas trees! And don't get me started on Facebook... I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it... I love seeing family and friends photos and hearing what they are doing but I HATE the ugliness that is there. I typically just scroll through it quickly.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm in the unique position of being able to waive library fines at times. A little knowledge goes a long way.

    I also work at being kind. Homelessness is a real problem but there are also poor people out there working service industry jobs that just need a little respect. Just using your good manners. I can't tell you how many times the grumpy lady at the post office has smiled at me because I said thank you at the end of our transaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I completely agree! A smile and a kind word can change lives, or at least days. There's just not enough smiles out there sometimes. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!!

      Delete