Thursday, June 13, 2019

Listen Carefully

Acts 2:14-21 Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

Peter Speaks to the People

14 Then Peter stood up with the other eleven apostles. He spoke loudly so that all the people could hear. He said, “My Jewish brothers and all of you who live in Jerusalem, listen to me. I will tell you something you need to know. Listen carefully. 15 These men are not drunk as you think; it’s only nine o’clock in the morning. 16 But Joel the prophet wrote about what you see happening here today. This is what he wrote:
17 ‘God says: In the last days
    I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy.
    Your young men will see visions.
    Your old men will have special dreams.
18 In those days I will pour out my Spirit
    on my servants, men 
and women,
    and they will prophesy.
19 I will work wonders in the sky above.
    I will cause miraculous signs on the earth below.
    There will be blood, fire, and thick smoke.
20 The sun will be changed into darkness,
    and the moon will be as red as blood.
    Then the great and glorious day of the Lord will come.
21 And everyone who trusts in the Lord will be saved.’

Peter reminds those there that what is happening was written about by the prophet Joel.  He shares it in a new way, as God’s valuing the entire community regardless of their status, their background, their heritage.  None of it matters anymore.  This message, God’s message, Jesus’ message is for everyone!  We’ve been empowered by a loving God to serve the community, to seek justice and love to all.

God of justice and love,
We hear your call of love.  Strengthen us to share that love with all, to hear the cry of the oppressed and seek justice for all.  Amen.



 

If you find this devotion to be a blessing, please share it with a friend.
Share
Tweet
Forward

No comments:

Post a Comment