Thursday, January 18, 2018

New me? Nah, just the Real me


A couple of weeks ago, I was doing the children's sermon.  Now, we don't often have children, so I don't PLAN a message for them.  I think about it and have something in mind but I seldom get to actually do it.  Also, the age that comes down for children's sermons is not limited to any particular age.  They can be anywhere from 1 year old to 80!  We just have fun.  Anyway, this particular Sunday we had a brother and sister come forward.  The sister came with her much younger brother (he was maybe 8 and she was around 20) and I asked about resolutions and if they knew what it meant and the sister said, New Year, New Me!  It fit perfectly and we had a lovely talk that got me to thinking.

I don't so much want a NEW me as I just want to embrace the REAL me, the one that often gets hidden, the one that gets put aside by time wasters.  So this week, I've decided to really work on this.  To work on goals, daily goals and to just live. To live my best life and not get too distracted by the time wasters in my life.  I got a slow start to this week due to weather, but I'm on day 2 and I'm having a wonderful time.  

I'm up, I'm moving, I'm working, I'm enjoying, I'm spending time with my loved ones near and far (over the phone when necessary).  I've started using a good planner that helps me set goals for the day and also makes me make time for me, quiet time, reflection time, personal development, exercise, fun, and gratitude!  It's all already built into my day and it's been nice.  

Even now as I type, I'm doing something I am always putting off for a special time.  Lighting candles.  I don't know why but I seldom let myself light candles.  For some reason, I seem to have gotten the idea that candles are only for the evening time and only for special occasions!  HOGWASH!  So, for the last two days, I've found time and reasons to light candles.  No special occasions, just lighting them for me. I'm reason enough. And you know what?  It feels nice. 

I'm being productive while treating myself and it feels good.  One of my more long-term goals is to blog regularly.  I used to really love it and have let it go by the wayside.  I tell myself, I don't have time, I don't have anything to say, no one wants to read it anyway.  But I never did it for anyone else.  I always did it because it was fun and therapeutic for me.  So, here I am.  Blogging today, mostly for me but if someone out there in the blogosphere finds something helpful or encouraging here, well, that would just be a bonus! 


Gratitude
I'm grateful for this new attitude and I hope I can sustain it for a while so that it just becomes a way of life, every day.  I'm grateful for candles that make me feel special and add a little romance to my day.  And I'm grateful for this life I'm living with the ones I love.

I'm also thankful for my sweet daughter-in-love.  Today is her birthday and I hope she is taking time to feel special today and every day!!  Love you, DIL!





Have a wonderful day, my dear friends!

4 comments:

  1. Sherri, I always find something inspiring in your blogs, so I'm glad you are back at it, and best of all, treating yourself along the way. Blessings for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha Jane. I really appreciate your kind words as always. 😊 I'm a work in progress! ALWAYS. Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it was something for you. 😊 I hope you are doing well! Remember to take time for you!

      Delete