Thursday, April 9, 2015

Enthusiasm, Fire

Last night I watched a Webinar on Congregations As Discipling Communities.  It was interesting.  It talked about conversations and how important they are to bringing those on the periphery or even the outside into the core.  It was interesting and the ideas it provided to have these conversations were good.

One of the phrases used at the very end of the webinar though really struck a cord with me.  It's been in the forefront of my mind ever since...

"Focus on ideas that generate life rather than dampen enthusiasm."

"Rather than dampen enthusiasm."

That really struck a cord with me.  I wonder how often this happens?  How often do we dampen someone's enthusiasm for serving, for ministry, for God.  

How often do we say, 'that's not how we do it' or 'no, so and so does that', or just 'no you can't do that.'  How often do churches dampen a person on fire for ministry, or service or God because it's not the person we want at that time?  Or we don't think it's real, or we think they will take over or what ever.  

It has happened in my life and it must happen in others as well since it was mentioned in this webinar.  It must happen and it really saddens me.  Why would we, 'the church' dampen someone's enthusiasm?  Why would we try to put out someone's fire for the Lord?  for ministry?  Do we even realize that we do it?

I hope to be more aware of two things. 

1. I hope to notice other people's enthusiasm and encourage it and let it help grow mine!  It only takes a spark right?  I hope to help that spark grow into a fire that can't be put out... EVER!

2.  I want to be more aware of my enthusiasm and not let it be dampened.  I am someone who usually doesn't give up, I go out and find new places to be in ministry but when I heard that phrase, "dampen enthusiasm", I was suddenly aware that I had let that happen to me.  I WILL NOT LET ANYONE DAMPEN MY ENTHUSIASM.

I have been feeling my enthusiasm grow again lately, I've been feeling that fire start to build again and I'm going to keep fanning the flames and building my enthusiasm.  I going to try to pass it on and watch it grow in others as well.  I'm going to try to encourage other's enthusiasm as well.  There is more ministry to be done and not enough people to do it so I KNOW there is plenty of room of EVERYONE'S enthusiasm.  It can only be dampened if we let it!  

"It Only Takes a Spark, to get a fire going,
and soon all those around can warm up to it's glowing.
That's how it is with God's Love, once you experience it
you spread his love, to everyone, you want to pass it on.

I'll Shout it from the mountain tops, I want the world to know,
the Lord of love has come to me, I want to pass it on."


No comments:

Post a Comment