Monday, March 24, 2014

Words

Wow.  This morning as my darling husband and I were sitting enjoying the morning and I began to talk to him about words and how they mean something. (Yes, I'm often random like that.)  I shared with him how words people have said to me are etched on my heart forever.  I can quiet them for awhile until I see something from that day or put on the clothes I had on at the moment the words were said and they come rushing back to me.  Even words from my youth and childhood!

Words are powerful!  How's the old saying go?  Words are mightier than the sword?  I think that's right.

I just googled it and it should be, "The pen is mightier than the sword" and it comes from several sources in many different forms but they all mean the same.  You can read more about it here.

Words are powerful.  They can wound, hurt and break OR they can heal, encourage and build up.  Unfortunately, the words we remember are all too often the ones that wound.

When I was finished with my dissertation (yes, I often talk too much and way too long) my husband said, "Looks like you have your next blog topic."  I laughed and said probably not but then as I scrolled through Facebook I came across a devotion from Proverbs 31 and it just jumped off the page at me!  You can read it here.  It's wonderful and it was talking about words.  Well, it was talking more about gossip but that's words, right?  :)

I'm not really talking about gossip here, I'm talking more about just every day conversations with people.  I'm talking about those sarcastic moments when we think we are being funny.  I'm talking about those moments when we are 'joking' but the words are very real.

We don't really think about our words much and especially when we are 'joking' or 'playing.'  The words are funny to us but that doesn't mean they are funny to the person at whom they are aimed.

An example that always comes to mind is...  When I was, I don't know, 18 or so my family had this couple from church over for dinner.  They were good friends of our family.  Now, you have to know that I have only ever had one real boyfriend, my husband, and I never really dated... not by choice but because I wasn't really ever asked.  At this point I had not met my husband yet.  Then the man asked a question about how you put the toilet paper roll on the holder and I said it didn't really matter.  I just had never really thought about it before and he said, "No wonder you've never had a boyfriend!  You don't even know how to put the toilet paper on the holder!"  Now, let me tell you that I am now in my mid forties and every time I replace the toilet paper I hear this man's voice and yes, I put it on 'correctly' in the 'over' position.  Now, I'm sure this man was just teasing but I went to my room later and cried.  To me, my not having a boyfriend was nothing to tease about!  It was a very sensitive subject for me and here I am now in my mid-forties and I still remember what he said and I remember how everyone laughed.

Funny, I was just thinking this all sounded familiar and I looked and I've blogged on this before, back in 2011.  It's something that really resonates with me, I guess.

Words.  Our words have such power. How we use them really matters. How we use them in all situations matters.  When we are angry or hurt, we sometimes say really mean things.  I know I do...  Especially when it's with my husband.  It's awful how we hurt those we love most.  I've really tried hard to end this terrible cycle.  I know it will make for a happier life and marriage.

Our words matter.  They really do.  Don't ever think that what you say has little effect on people because it's just not true.  They have an effect. Reminds me of a children's song I learned when I was little and that I sang to my kids.  One verse says...
         "Oh be careful little mouth what you say,
          Oh be careful little mouth what you say,
          for the Father up above is looking down with love,
          so be careful little mouth what you say."

What does the Bible say about words?  I googled it.  (Google is amazing and I use if often for just such things.)

Proverbs 12:18
    The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
 
Proverbs 16:24
     Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Proverbs 13:3
    Those who guard their lips preserve their lives, but those who speak rashly will come to ruin.

Proverbs 21:23
    Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.

Whew!!  Proverbs has a lot to say about words!! This is only a few passages. Maybe that's why the book of Proverbs is so long... the author understood the power of words.

Ephesians 4:29
    Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

James 1:26
   Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

That one seems so harsh but I think some times harsh is what we need to remind us of important things.  I know I need to watch my tongue more often do you?


Proverbs 16:24
     Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.


No comments:

Post a Comment