Monday, March 31, 2014

NOAH


Well, we did it.  We went to see the movie "Noah."  We were warned not to waste our money, not to support the director.  We were warned that they had tried to take God out of the story.  We were warned that it was NOT biblical, but we went any way and I'm glad we did.

Too be honest, I really enjoyed it.  First, it's a movie for entertainment NOT a documentary.  That being said, it was beautifully told.  Yes, there were some things in the movie that were really out there but I didn't find them offensive.

The movie has sparked much discussion in our home with my family and that's a good thing.  We often have these types of discussions in our home with or without movies but if it causes discussion and perhaps even Bible reading in other families too, then this movie is doing God's work.

The thing is... I hear people say they are worried that God was taken out of the movie and I have trouble with that.  First, God is everywhere and is in everything.  We didn't put him there therefore we can't take him out of it.  It's up to us whether or not we see him.  Its a choice we make and I chose to and did see God in this movie.

Is it Biblical?  Well, it had a beautiful retelling of the creation story.  It was moving and well, just beautiful.  Does it refer to God?  YES!!!  Noah talks to God several different times.  Cain's descendent talks to God and even quotes how we are made in his image.  Do they call him God?  Usually they refer to him as the Creator though both my husband and daughter say they heard the name God at least once.  Honestly, I was so caught up in it that I don't know.  God is the creator therefore, yes, they mention him throughout the film.

It's funny to me that people are worried about it being strict to the Bible.  I have been in Sunday School my whole life whether as a participant or as a teacher.  How many times was I told about the people around Noah?  How they mocked him and made fun of him?  I asked my daughter about it and she said she was taught that.  You know what?  That is NOT in the Bible.  It's assumed.  It's used to teach kids that sometimes following God's commands is hard and that sometimes the people around us will give us a hard time but we need to do it anyway.  It's a teaching tool that isn't really biblical.

There is much that can be brought out of this movie. It's up to us to choose what we take away from it.

I found God in this movie. He was all over it! I saw myself in Noah, unable to believe that I could possibly live up to what God wants for this world.  I saw myself in his wife and her love for her children and her husband. I saw my husband (in the future) in Russell Crow at the end of this movie with his greying hair long and blowing in the wind.  LOL  Just kidding, sort of.  :P

Anyway, again, I think it's a choice.  You see what you want to see, you get out of it what you want to get out it.  Have faith that God is everywhere.  He can't be taken out of anything, he's there, we just have to choose whether or not we see him.  If He wants this movie to touch lives it will no matter what the director or anyone else says or does to it.  He, GOD, can do anything.  Have a little faith.



6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. People tend, especially Christians, take things too literal. I apologize any offense that any Christian may have.
    It is a work of fiction, based on a story. As was The Ten Commandments back in the day. It wasn't completely biblical either.
    Honestly though, it doesn't really matter anyway.
    It's a waste of time arguing and/or discussing it in length.
    There's far worse things on the big screen, and there's one starting on the same day, a supernatural, thriller, horror.
    Now, there's a film to avoid.
    Thanks for writing this Sherri. God bless & Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Scott, I agree, there is much worse on the Big Screen or even on television than this could ever be. Thanks for the reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. Wow, love what you said ' God is everywhere, we didn't put Him in anything, so we can't take Him out of anything. Well, said. I haven't seen it, and I heard all the critic's as you, so I thought about not going. But, now hearing what you said, I am going to see it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete