Friday, July 11, 2014

Discouragement

Discouragement... where does it come from and why does it come?  It's crazy.  Often, I think it comes from within ourselves; maybe from fear, uncertainties, or even just laziness.  I don't know but it does drive me crazy.  It can bring me to the brink of tears.  It makes me cranky, sad, mad, unhappy, and well, just plain hard to live with!

So, how do we overcome it?  Well, sometimes, for me, it's just a matter of saying, "God, you can have this.  I don't want it.  I want to do what you want me to do so just take this negative stuff away from me and I'll keep following if you keep leading."

Other times?  Well, it takes shedding a few of those tears and talking it over with my husband or one of my precious kids who are wiser than their years sometimes or with a good friend (which includes my husband and my kids!).  Letting it all out often helps.  Sometimes I have to let it all out a few times before it's really all out though.  

Sometimes?  It's both of these!  Sometimes I need them all in my corner, God, my family, my friends.  Sometimes I need to throw a little temper tantrum, realize how silly I'm being, and then I can move on by letting go.

1 Peter 1:6-9 "In this you rejoice even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith - being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire - may be found to result in praise and glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.  Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with a indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls."

It reminds me to have faith and remember what I have faith in and why and how the genuineness of my faith is precious and tested.


John 15:19-20"The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you. Do you remember what I told you? ‘A slave is not greater than the master.’ Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you. And if they had listened to me, they would listen to you." 


This one reminds me that I belong to something bigger and better and that I'm not alone in this.

As I typed that, a song immediately came to mind...

"His Eye is on the Sparrow"

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I sing because I’m happy,I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.


Ahhh... I needed that.  I think I'll just listen to those words for a bit and let them sink in deep, just breathing them in and breathing out the discouragement.  I'll let God have that.

1 comment: