Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Meditation

https://andrewwillson.wordpress.com/tag/mindfulness/
Do you meditate?  I've tried but am never very successful.  I can't ever get my mind to quiet down, but this morning I started reading a book on meditation with your camera and it started out talking about centering.  It gave a little exercise to get you started and for the first time in my life, I was able to quiet my mind and just be present and just listen.  It was the most relaxing feeling.  It felt so good.

Often when we think of people meditating we think of sitting cross-legged, hands open on knees with two fingers touching chanting Ooommmm....  some new age thing or Buddhist practice but anyone can meditate and we probably all should. 

The definition of meditate is: "think deeply or focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation." 

Too often people see the word spiritual and think of anything but religion.  Some people think of new age type stuff and are frightened away by it, but religion is spiritual and meditation is away for us to let the spirit in, or maybe to open ourselves to the spirit.

http://www.wellness-and-workouts.com/christian-meditation.html
During this time this morning I felt revived and felt... maybe... a sense of direction, a sense of peace.  I think I'm going to work on incorporating meditation more regularly into my life.  I can see where it can change things.  I can see where it can help in different aspects of my life.  The big one?  Letting go.  I could feel certain things I've been holding onto start to slip away.  I'm not saying they won't come back but it was nice to know that I can let go and let God have 'it'.  

So, do you meditate?  When you do it?  in the mornings?  in the evenings? throughout the day?  How do you do it?  sitting in a chair?  lying down?  eyes open or shut?  music or silence?  I'd love to hear what you have to say!  Please share!

2 comments: