Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday


I purchased this book at the beginning of the year, A Disciple's Journal 2015: A Guide for Daily Prayer, Bible Reading, and Discipleship.  I've not been good a reading it every day, though when I do I really enjoy it.  Today's reading was especially for Ash Wednesday and I found it very interesting.

The scriptures are Joel 2:1-2, 12-17, Psalm 51:1-17, 2 Corinthians 5:20b-6:10 and Matthew 6:1-6, 16-21.  You can read them here.   The lectionary has one more reading from Isaiah, 58:1-12.

In Joel it talks about blowing the trumpet to announce the coming of the Lord!  It talks about returning to God with fasting.

In Isaiah, it talks again about blowing the trumpet and fasting.  This time it talks about fasting to humble oneself, to loose the bonds of injustice, to share your bread with the hungry and gather the poor in to your home.

In Psalms, it talks about being made clean.  This says "Create in me a clean heart," "Open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise."

In 2 Corinthians it talks about becoming the righteousness of God.  It says, "See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!"  Don't put obstacles in anyone's way so that no fault may be found with our ministry.  Being servants of God through the hard stuff.

And then in Matthew it talks about not putting on show in our fasting, our giving, our praying, but to do it in private and keep it between you and God.

They kind of all put this whole thing of 'giving up' something for Lent into perspective.  The whys and hows.  It quietly prepared me.

In preparing for Easter, I've decided to try to do through the lens of my camera by following photo-a-day project at Rethink Church.  Today's word is Announce and I loved how it played into the scripture readings.  I decided to look around me for announcements and here is what I found...

An announcement of spring coming in the middle of the snow.
An announcement of my husband's love for me.








No comments:

Post a Comment