Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

Memorial Day.  A day of remembrance.  A day to remember the fallen and their families.

I have to say that before I married the army, I don't know that I really knew or understood what memorial day was really about, what it really meant.  I think somewhere in history, probably during the cold war, it's meaning was pushed away in the corners of time.  It became really big again with the 'new wars' of Iraq and Afghanistan but still I wonder at the confusion.

Sometimes we get it a little confused with Veteran's Day another important day to observe on it's day.  Honestly?  I really think that we should be thanking our veterans EVERY day.

On Memorial Day though, I think we need to really remember the fallen and their families.  I was reading earlier today about the history of Memorial Day.  In years past it was spent remembering by visiting cemeteries and memorials.  They had family gatherings.  They decorated graves with flags and their homes as well.  It was a day of remembering.

Many often go and help place flags on graves today too and they gather with family and friends for BBQs and cookouts.  It's the unofficial first day of summer.

Today, I want to remember all those who paid the ultimate price for our country and also their families.  There are 3 special soldiers and families I wish to remember.  I think of them often and I pray for their families.

Col. John M. McHugh 5/18/10 
SGT Amanda N. Pinson 3/16/06
SFC Charles M. Sadell 10/24/10   

I am thankful for their lives, for their willingness to serve and for their families who shared them with our country.  I'm praying for you all.
Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery in the Spring

No comments:

Post a Comment