Saturday, March 29, 2014

Time... where does it go??

Oh my, what a weekend.  We started early and left on Thursday evening to visit K-State with my darling daughter.  It wasn't a real college visit but it did that for us... we know this is NOT the school for her BUT she had so much fun!  Friday was actually "Dance Day,' a day filled with different dance classes and she LOVES dance.  Ballet is her passion but she enjoys other forms as well.  She had so much fun taking the classes.  My darling husband and I spent the day Friday, trying to figure out how our youngest could possibly be old enough to be looking at colleges and our oldest old enough to be a sophomore in college getting ready to go to Basic Training this summer!!  Where did the time go?

We got home today around noon to messages that needed to be returned and I got  right on them...  UGH... it led me to having tons to do.  I serve as a committee chair at church and had some items I needed to get right on because again... where did the time go??

It's funny, time is a commodity.  It is.  We only get so much of it each and every day, 24 hours.  We are told to make the most of it.  How many times a day or week do you see something on social media about how you should choose time with your kids and family over work?  Here lately, I've been seeing it almost everyday.

Isn't it true?  I've always tried to do that but now my kids are older and I'm so glad I took that time for them but now, I'm serving more.  They don't need me the same way or as much.  Now, I do include my kids when I can in my serving.  My daughter goes with me on a lot of my visits and she enjoys it.  She helps on my committee and so on so forth.  Yet, I still feel guilty when I'm busy with my service, with my volunteering, cleaning house or my writing or whatever 'it' happens to be and yet I feel guilty when I'm not doing those things too!

It's kind of double edged sword.  I mean sometimes we really do have to clean house and we really do have to work.  I mean the house isn't going to clean itself and money doesn't grow on trees.  Work has too happen and volunteering and service NEEDS to happen.

I guess we have to have a happy medium.  Having that happy medium sets a good example for our kids.  They need to see that work and service/volunteering are important but they need to KNOW that they are too!

Ephesians 5:15-16 says...
"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time..."  For me it's not always an easy thing to do.  There are lots of time wasters out there...  things that suck our time from us, sometimes so slowly we don't even notice until it's too late.  We have to be ever mindful of our time and how we spend it.  Make each moment count.  Make time for God, family, friends, work, service and play.  Each one is important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment