Saturday, March 3, 2018

Meditation

Do you meditate?  I've always wanted to but thought it would be too hard.  Me, sit still for any length of time and be quiet??  Are you kidding?  Quiet my mind?  What the heck is that?

Well, I've got to tell you, I'm learning the art of meditation and it is one of my most favorite things ever!  

People meditate for different reasons and in different ways.  You can meditate to relax, to relieve stress, to get more in tune with yourself or with God or with the universe and for prayer.  I've tried off and on to meditate for years but I've never been very good at quieting my mind.  Recently, I've decided to try again.

I've made myself a little meditation corner with plants and candles.  It's a comfortable place with a lovely blanket and pillow and I play quiet contemplative music.  

In one of my most successful (they all are but this one just felt amazing) meditation times, I found names flowing through my thoughts.  As they did, I would lift them up in prayer.  If I knew their circumstances I would pray specifically for them but otherwise I just asked God to meet them where they were and so on.  

And then the list of names just slowly ended and it was a peaceful quiet, a calm stillness, just peace, and relaxation.  When I felt finished, I thought I had maybe been in there for about 15 or 20 minutes but when I looked at my clock it had been over 40 minutes!  I felt so good and happy and relaxed and just really GOOD.

I find myself excited to meditate now.  I look forward to it.  Some days it like above but other days, it's more like 10 to 15 minutes of me trying to be still and quiet.  It's not always perfect but it is always good and I'm so glad I have found this new practice for my life.

Do you meditate?  I would love to hear about your experiences.  Share in the comments!

1 comment: